I recently returned from a trip to Africa. In Nairobi, Kenya I was blessed to be able to speak at the annual Spiritual Emphasis Week at Rosslyn Academy. Rosslyn consists of missionary kids (MKs) and third culture kids (TCKs). The students represent a wide variety of nationalities, languages and cultures. They are the future leaders of their countries, and private businesses. The services were concluded with a senior high retreat. On Friday night, God moved in a tremendous way around the altars. It was obvious that God was speaking directly to many of the students!
From Nairobi I went to Cairo, where we have a large number of kids, whose parents are serving with Live/Dead. The families are learning the language and culture, while planting churches. I happened to arrive on October 6th, which is an Egyptian national holiday. The evening I arrived, from the team apartment, I was able to see a Muslim Brotherhood demonstration in the streets. We were close enough that our eyes were burning when the police fired the tear gas. What is amazing to me is that we have families willing to lay it all down for the sake of the call of God. Children attend make-shift schools while parents engage in language studies. They all are adapting to a new lifestyle; which is not always an easy choice, and sometimes, a dangerous one.
We are blessed to be able to come alongside these families to provide support! The MKs are always such a blessing to invest in! We know that as we invest in these kids, we are helping mom and dad fulfill the calling that God has placed on their lives, as we help to provide the educational, spiritual and emotional support. As the MK specialists, we ask that you pray for our families in harms way! We have families all over this world that are living in dangerous and challenging situations. They are following the leading of the Holy Spirit. We need to be bombarding the gates of heaven for their protection and provision!
Next week we are headed to Thanksgiving Retreat in Winter Park, Colorado. We are expecting 199 people to join us! Most MKs remain stateside for college, while the parents return to serve overseas. It is a huge sacrifice and challenge for the parents. This retreat offers support to the MKs, living in a new country, with a new culture, without the benefit of being able to go home for holidays. Many MKs come to the retreat desperate for a time with God, and with people who understand one another. Pray that God would direct the ministry at Thanksgiving Retreat!
As you pray for the retreat, pray for the following things:
- Divine encounter with God
- God’s protection (200 people traveling to Denver, skiing, tubing)
- Relationship (MKs love relationships with other MKs)
- Logistics (details, details, details)
- Parents, who are missing spending time with their kids
- Wisdom, as we share God’s love with this awesome group of young adults
Financially, Dargan and I find ourselves in the need of monthly support. We have not had a full itineration since 1999. We looked at our budget, yesterday. Our last budget was created for us in 1998. We are far behind where we need to be! We are currently about $2,750/month behind. That is a huge sum! Itineration is not possible with our current travel and ministry schedule. We would have to stop the support we currently provide, in order to travel and raise funds necessary, Would you help us in the following area?
- Pray that God would raise up supporters
- If you are able to support us, you can fill out a commitment form at www.agmd.org. Just search for Phillips, and follow the steps.
- Perhaps you know of pastors, adult MKs, or friends that believe in the missionary family! We believe that by supporting us, and the MK program, you are investing in an entire organization of missionaries! I recently shared the need with an adult MK. He immediately said “Put us down for $100/month!” I was totally blessed!
- Commit to pray with us for the MKs!